Sunday, April 18, 2010

Creamy Banana Sunday...with a side of grilled cheese

And so begins my new project of the year. (as opposed to old projects like running a mile everyday, intergrating vegetables into my diet and starting a Happy Book). I'm on a quest to find out the best of Toronto. I romanticised many a time about the idea of setting out early in the morning bright eyed and ready to stumble into quaint little shops and bistros boasting about how I "discovered" cheap cutsey places. I sadly let go of that notion when I discovered first hand that I'm a lazy ass in the morning and hence would not successfully be out of bed and ready until well into the afternoon hours. That coupled with the fact that I'm unbelievably awful with directions leads me to believe that I would just go circling around the block multiple times trying to "discover" Toronto and finally being so famished that I would give up and eat KFC. Delight.
So to make life easier and pleasant, I turned to google to tell me where I should begin my discoveries. And google spat out The Cupcake Shoppe.

BEST CUPCAKES IN TORONTO: The Cupcake Shoppe

Where: Yonge & Eglinton (approx subway) I totally thought this would be one of those really cute little coffee places where you would have a giant latte and a cupcake. Alas, it was actually just a shop.

Regardless, Mikhai, my partner-in-caffiene and I were super excited to go to the Cupcake Shoppe. And it did not dissappoint.
The cupcakes are actually really good. Scrumptious and creamy. They also have cute little names for their cupcakes. Mikhai picked The Crummie, which tastes NOTHING like its name. I picked Curious George because it reminded me of Jack Johnson and there's nothing chiller than eating a Curious George cupcake and listening to Jack Johnson on a sunny Toronto day.
Above is Mikhai all happy with her Crummie.
And then there's me with my Curious George and banana cream on my nose. Quite frankly, there's no other way to eat a cupcake.

BEST GRILLED CHEESE IN TORONTO: Bloor Street Diner
Where: Bay and Bloor
Here's something Google did not help me out with. My personal discovery. Actually, its really not much of a hidden gem to discover. Its right smack in the middle of Bay Street and its called Bloor Street Diner. Going there was a product of aimless walking hoping to "discover" something. Anyway, I got myself a grilled cheese sandwich, bistro style.
You have to see this.
My grilled cheese was probably the best I've ever tasted, came with thin crispy fries and a tiny little bottle of ketchup. None of those nasty ketchup sachets. Just look at how cute that bottle is! And trust me, best grilled cheese EVER!
And that folks, was this weekend's episode of Karen's Toronto Adventures.
Note to be made about the aimless walking. Although, I did walk around completely unaware of where I was for about an hour, Toronto did not fail to dissappoint. I got some great shots of the The Annex. So until next time...




6 comments:

  1. Karen!

    I love The Cupcake Shoppe, check back in Fall when they bring back "naughty 'n spice" ...delicious!

    I stumbled upon your blog & I liked your little adventure. I try to do the same thing - find tasty places around Toronto - and! I have a terrible sense of direction as well, so I am curious to see what you get yourself into.

    have you checked out THIS blog?
    http://www.blogto.com/toronto/

    ...you might consider it cheating though!

    happy exploring,

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen! That grilled cheese looks amazing! I've been to Bay and Bloor a million times and I don't recall this Bistro you speak of. Which side of the street is it on? I'm dying to try this!

    Anita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellen!
    Wow thanks for reading my little blog! I will definately be frequenting the cupcake shoppe from now on. And I did check out that toronto blog. It was really informative. I try to use it as a guideline. Since I get lost so much, I usually stumble into other cool places when I try to find a place listed in that blog. Where have you been around T.O.? Do you know any other interesting places?

    Anita:
    That grilled cheese was AMAZING! The place is called Bloor Street Diner. Its 55 Bloor Street West. Its really easy to find and also really really to pass by at the same time. It has a bistro feel to it...nice patio, hot waiters, great food. But it also has a couple of very tastefully placed pool-tables, so its not overly stuffy. Its east of Bay on Bloor, if that helps. You cant miss it if you're looking for it.
    We should do lunch there sometime in the summer! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recommend...

    Saving Grace - just past Bellwoods/Dundas W.
    tasty brunch! very adorable little place, but LITTLE is the keyword...it'd be too busy on the weekend I think
    P.S. I swear I saw Ryan Gosling outside

    &

    Butler's Pantry
    they have such a diverse menu! always something for everyone, tasty lunch/dinner

    the Queen W. location closed and I haven't had a chance to check out the other locations, but I bet the Roncesvalles one is snazzy

    http://www.butlerspantry.ca/Welcome.html

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ryan Gosling? Enough said. I'm there.

    They both sound like cool places to go! I'm defiantely checking them out and you'll get due credit of course ;)
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We should definitely do lunch there as soon as the weather finally gets above the teens. I'm always on BlogTo, looking up new restaurants that tickle my fancy, so I would love to endeavour on this journey with you :P Love the blog(s). Keep it up!

    Anita

    ReplyDelete